Sunday, March 12, 2023

Housemaid | Episode 2.1 Interview and First Cooking

"So... I invested in a lot of things and made a lot of money. Cleaning, laundry, and cooking were bothersome, so I posted a job advertisement. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Mmm, yeah."

First, I took Si-eun inside, and then explained the situation.

So far, I'd only told one friend that I'd made a lot of money, and now I have a second. I'd tried to keep it a secret. She stroked her chin and thought about the story, then nodded, "You're always tapping away on your laptop, even in class. I guess you were always up to something else."

"That's because investing is something you will regret for the rest of your life if you miss the moment."

"Is that so? ...Well, since you made a lot of money, I guess you know better."

It was a cool answer.

Despite the fact that she came to interview for a part-time job and the employer was from the same department, Si-eun didn't seem embarrassed at all. If anything, it was more embarrassing for me.

Sensing my stare, she opened her mouth, "Why?"

"Oh, nothing. I just thought since you were coming for an interview and there's someone from your school here, you might have some thoughts about it."

"It's okay. I was a little worried since the other person knows me, but it doesn't really matter."

"Isn't that something you should be concerned about...?"

Of course it's fine. In fact, it's great. I could ask if there were any announcements in class.

However, there was one thing that I was curious about. Without making eye contact, I asked, "Why do you want this part-time job?"

"It's not something the interviewer should ask, is it?

"Well, yeah, but it's, like, what......."

I took a moment to organize what I was going to say.

"You're studying hard, you're student council president, and you seem to know a lot of people. I know you're busy with a lot of things."

Si-eun looked incredulous.

"How do you know all that?"

"We're in the same department, same grade, so I pick up on things."

That's what I said, but technically it was slightly different.

Yes, we're in the same department and grade, but before that, Si-Eun was famous throughout the school, mainly because of her looks, her body, and her unique charisma.

There were even rumors that she was deliberately seducing male students. If these rumors were reaching my ears, someone who was considered an outsider, then they must have been widespread.

Si-eun lowered her gaze to the table and replied, "I'm busy, but I can't help it, I need money."

"You need money?"

"Yes. My mom is sick."

She sounded serious.

"And my dad, he passed away when I was young, so I have to earn money. Normally, I would have dropped out, but my mom didn't want me to, so I have to stay."

Despite all that, she seemed to be enjoying her school life.

Perhaps reading my expression, Si-eun continued her explanation.

"I need to get a job as soon as I graduate, so I'm trying to improve my skills as much as possible. If I do well in my studies, I can also receive scholarships. Since networking is important for employment, I try to meet many people. Also, knowing people can help me save money on food because they occasionally treat me to meals."

"......."

"What does that sound like? You may think whatever you want. I know it's not a cool thing to do, but I have to earn as much as possible and spend as little as possible now to cover my mother's medical expenses."

"Mmm."

I didn't think of her as a beggar. I just realized that we had completely opposite priorities.

My family was also very poor when I was growing up. But I grew up differently. From my childhood to now, it was always hard for me to socialize.

Instead, I found it much more fun to tinker with computers that didn't play games, and I enjoyed predicting how the graphs would bend.

So I gave up on getting to know people. I made a lot of money, but I still only had one friend.

Si-Eun, on the other hand, didn't give up when things got tough and tried to tackle them head-on. I thought that was a big difference.

Si-Eun continued her story.

"So I've been looking for a part-time job, and then I saw your post. You said it was for 500 a month. I'm glad I found it as soon as it was posted."

"Yeah, I noticed the application seemed copy-pasted."

"I copied it and waited for a good job to come up."

I see.

"Plus, it said they would provide accommodation. It's like a dream job."

"Well, um...wait, what?"

"Why?"

Si-eun looked at me puzzled.

Looking back, I didn't check the box for providing accommodations and meals when I posted the job listing on the part-time job site. There are many empty rooms and I could cover the cost of ingredients, so I checked the box with the intention of providing meals if needed.

But when I realized that the person who came in as a housekeeper was from the same department as me, I thought that person was a bit odd.

"No, no. No."

I can't be bothered to recruit new people now. I'll use that time to study investment and since we'll each be using separate rooms, it's not a big deal.

I was more surprised that she didn't seem to mind.

"Are you okay?"

"What?"

"Living in the same house with me."

"What, you mean?"

Si-Eun chuckled softly.

"It's okay. Based on your usual behavior, I don't think I'll get into any trouble. You're always just tapping away on your laptop anyway."

"Mmm."

This can't be a compliment....... but it seemed like she was seeing me as a bit of a pushover. But she's 100% right, so I can't argue. I sucked it up.

"So, what are you going to do?"

Si-Eun asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Did I pass......?"

 It was a question imbued with earnestness, as if she did not want to miss this opportunity.

When someone of the opposite sex from the same school, same department, and same grade offers to live as a housekeeper, how do normal people deal with it?

They might try to find someone else to avoid the burden, and if they refuse, Si-eun wouldn't have anything to say.

But I was different.

The reason was simple. Because it was annoying.

"Well, yeah. You're hired."

"...Uh, thank you."

As soon as she heard my answer, she stood up from her seat.

"When should I start working? Have you decided yet? Oh, and is it okay if I send my stuff by courier in advance? I'm getting ready to move tomorrow."

"Um, there's something I need to tell you."

"Huh, what?"

Si-Eun tilted her head expressionlessly.

I'm sorry, but I feel like I need to say something really mean.

"If possible…”

“Yeah…?”

"“I was wondering if you could make me lunch, starting today......."

"What?"

Seeing Se-eun at a loss for words, I regretted a little for having helped her pass, but I had to say what I had to say.

✦•············································•✦•············································•✦


If you like the story, you can review the novel here on Novel Updates 👉 My Housemaid

If you liked the story and want to support us and read ahead, you can do so via patron at 👉 Patreon.com/SacredTextTL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog