Sunday, December 31, 2023

Academy City | Prologue

’I have reincarnated.’

When I had grown enough to discern reason, cradled in the arms of a caretaker robot, it dawned on me that I had reincarnated into an open-world game set in Academy City, which I had enjoyed for quite some time.

I went through a lot of confusion for a long time, but I've finally come to terms with reality and adjusted my thoughts.

'Since I've been given a second chance at life..., I should live happily.'

It was a conclusion I arrived at after years of contemplation; a very simple conclusion, yet the process of contemplation was exceedingly long.

'To do that, I need to meet three conditions.'

For me to live a happy life in this world.

'First, have a reasonably good job.'

The prerequisite was good grades and a flashy school life record.

'Second, bring villains to justice.'

The villains from the original scenario didn't matter; they could be left to the original protagonist; the problem was the event villains who acted independently of the original scenario and threatened the Academy City — they were beings that destroy the order of Academy City, or even Academy City itself.

What happens if you leave event villains alone in the game? They grow into an unstoppable force and establish themselves as a great evil in the Academy City.

Outside the Academy City was a post-apocalyptic world where monsters roam freely. So, this was the only place where I could live in peace.

So I couldn't just leave the villains alone.

'Third, marry my childhood friend.'

My childhood friend.

She was a beautiful girl and the first person to be on my side in this world.

With her future beauty guaranteed and her head being smart, I vowed to become the man she deserved.

'Alright, perfect.'

With my knowledge of the game and the experiences of my previous life, I should be able to fulfill these three conditions somehow.

It was worth a try, at least.

But things don't always go as planned in the world.

"Woojin is so pure. I hope he stays this way in the future."

It was just an act of innocence appropriate for my age.

My childhood friend left behind these meaningful words and suddenly disappeared.

Where could she have gone? I searched every nook and cranny for her. But not only could I not find her whereabouts, I couldn't even find a clue.

It took me a while to accept the fact that my only ally had disappeared. Only then did I realize that the soles of my shoes were worn thin like straw sandals.

When I returned home, a feeling of tightness filled my chest and a deep sense of emptiness came over me.

Those emotions confined me to the prison that was my room for several months.

And years later, a stranger's letter arrived at my home.

— To my friend Woojin

It was a letter from my childhood friend.

The letter contained the latest news that she had been recognized as a heinous criminal.

The worst criminals in the Academy City were called the 'Five Sins Criminal,' and with her addition, they became the 'Six Sins Criminal.'

It was thanks to her constantly causing terrorism and building up her notoriety.

Only then did I realize who she was; she was one of the worst villains in the game, 'Kim Dalbi.'

The name she had told me was a pseudonym.

It seemed that Kim Dalbi had planned for this to happen even before she became friends with me.

'It's unbelievable...?'

I found myself laughing hollowly for several days.

— Hi, Woojin. Congratulations on your acceptance to Asung High!

I wanted to prepare a lot of things, but I felt like you would feel uncomfortable with any gift I gave, so I just prepared flowers for now. Will you accept them...?

I may be the scum of the earth in this city, but still, I'm always on your side. ^_^

So, I hope you accept just this.

I really, really congratulate you.

Well, take care in high school!

On the day I passed the high school entrance exam, there was a note with a bouquet of purple orchids in my house.

It was a congratulatory message from our thriving criminal.

There were no ill feelings. I just graciously accepted the orchids, putting them in a vase. That day, my heart was amazingly calm. I felt that I could now eliminate one of the three prerequisites for a happy life.

Keeping fresh flowers for a long time seemed destined to fail. Eventually, I replaced them with pressed dry flowers, carrying them like a talisman.

Time flew and before I knew it, I became a second-year high school student. On a spring day when the cold had eased a bit…

…in front of students standing in orderly fashion, dressed in a black uniform and a red badge symbolizing the student council on my left arm…

…I walked with a straight posture, stood in front of the podium, and bowed my head slightly and adjusted my hat.

Piiing!!!

When I touched the microphone lightly, the microphone howling sounded. After capturing the attention of the student council members, I spoke into the microphone.

"Greetings. I am the 45th student council president, 2nd year student, Ahn Woojin."

The student council inauguration ceremony. Now was the time for the next student council president to announce his aspirations. The red badge with a gold border on my left arm was the symbol of the student council president, inherited today from the previous president.

With proper etiquette, I spoke in a solemn voice.

"I won't say much. For all disputes and criminal activities within our jurisdiction, both inside and outside the academy, the most rigorous sanctions and punishments will be imposed. There will be no compromises. From this moment, I promise to contribute as much as possible to maintaining peace in the academy as the student council president."

The student council — which is ranked first in terms of force in the school — will now 'officially' take care of the villains 'in a business-like manner' according to my orders.

Since our jurisdiction extended to areas outside the school, my school record would undoubtedly shine with achievements.

I had finally seized the opportunity to fulfill the two conditions I had set for a happy life in a synergistic way.

Of course, there was a high possibility that I would be in conflict with my childhood friend Kim Dalbi if I did so.

But I had already made up my mind.

She was the worst villain who would establish herself as a cancerous presence in the Academy City if left alone. I had to stop her.

"For the sake of the academy, for the sake of the students, please fight alongside me. Thank you."

As I politely bowed, hundreds of student council members applauded.

Today, I became the student council president of the Academy City.


---- End of Chapter ---


A Word from the Author (Author's Note)

Hello, it's Chicken Boy (author of Demon Limited Hunter). My hiatus seems to be getting longer, so I thought I should start writing something new. I wanted to write a light novel. By the way, here, light novel is used in the sense of a novel reminiscent of Japanese manga or anime. There will be battles, but unlike my previous work, I think the focus will be on the quiet everyday life. I hope it will be a novel that can be read after reading interesting novels first, and a novel that can be eaten lightly like a snack. As always, thank you.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
『 Previous Chapter Next Chapter
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Rate and review the novel on Novel Updates 👉 Academy City

⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⊱⊰⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog